Vol., July 28, 2016 Parmesan Squash Zucchini Bake
I want to share this recipe with you. It is a wonderful way to utilize the bounty of fresh vegetables and leftovers are easily reheated for lunch the following day!
Let us know how you and your family enjoy this healthy and attractive recipe. Special thanks to Favorite Family Recipes for sharing this yummy dish.
- 4 medium-sized yellow squash and/or zucchini, sliced lengthwise and then into 1/4 inch slices (about 8 cups sliced squash)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup crumbled feta (not tightly packed)
- 2 T grated parmesan cheese
- 1 T lemon juice
- salt and pepper – to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a large casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Slice the squash into 1/4″ slices. If they are larger squash, cut them down the middle before slicing. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the squash, garlic and thyme. Saute and stir just until the squash is starting to soften slightly. Don’t overcook! Remove from heat and add tomatoes.
- Beat together the eggs, sour cream, cheeses and lemon juice in a medium sized bowl. Place half of the squash into the bottom of the casserole (you can be fancy and layer it like in the picture or you can just toss it in. Normally I just toss it in but for the picture’s sake I layered it nicely). Sprinkle on some salt and pepper then spread 1/2 of the egg mixture over the top. Repeat with remaining squash and egg mixture. Top with additional feta and Parmesan if desired.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling and slightly set. Serve hot.